Saturday, December 18, 2010

L'amore in Italia: part three.

There was very little sleep to be had for us after Thanksgiving dinner! The next morning, Ethan and I met up around 6am and headed to the train station. We were off to Rome for the day! I'll admit, we were in less than amazing spirits when we arrived and it was hailing! However, it cleared up and, besides a few minor setbacks, the trip was a complete and total success! Get ready for the most photo-heavy post of all time.

Our first stop was the Colosseum - maybe you've heard of it? :P It's a pretty big deal. Afterward, we walked over to the Forum, which was cool but just... way too much to take in all at once. Massive! And also hard to capture on camera. So, there is limited documentation of it on my part. :P


The Arch of Constantine outside of il Colosseo.

Exterior walls.

A tad bit overwhelmed, E?

We're goin' in!








The only photo of me that turned out to be semi-decent.




:P

Roman Forum, etc.

Ethan walking from Forum grounds back toward the Colosseum.

Look how beautiful!

Procured a taxi and then wound up at la Fontana di Trevi!

It's just as beautiful and a whole lot bigger than I'd imagined!



From there, it was a short walk to the Pantheon - which I visited back in September on my way back from Greece.

Whereas last time it was super crowded, this time it was much more manageable. I was so happy to actually get a few photos where not everything was obscured by random heads. :P






Raphael's tomb.

Then we walked to Piazza Navona - another spot I visited in September.


I don't really know what's going on here.



Pigeons fo dayz.

As if that weren't enough sightseeing for one day, we then cabbed to Vatican City. We had an appointment to see the Sistine Chapel, but for some reason, we managed to miss it. I was devastated! But you know what? St. Peter's is beautiful in itself. So I was content. And, funnily enough, we ran into a group of kids on a trip with my university. So that was fun. ;]






Inside la Basilica Papale di San Pietro.

Wayyy too pretty.





When we came out, it was beginning to get dark.

And then it looked like this. Wow.


We caught the train and were back in Florence by nine. Overall, an exhaustingly satisfying trip. :] I mean, we saw most everything there is to see in Rome in the span of a single day! It was such a great experience with one of the coolest people I know. And then we spent a little quality time together, because the next day would be his last in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<3